Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Core Workout

In my last post I gave you the steps needed to get a lean core. I mentioned that you can't spend everyday at the gym doing only cardio and abdominal workouts. However, working out your core is still fun (at least I think so) and important once you've lost the body fat!

As much as I love abs I always make sure that I...1, don't work out only abs on any given day (add in cardio as well as shoulder /tricep workout) and 2, that I don't work them out every.single.day. 

This workout you're about to see is something I do about 2-3 times a week (every other day) after a back workout or something light. So just to clarify, I wouldn't recommend you to do only this workout. If you're a beginner go for a run and then try this;
just to make sure that you're burning enough calories.

So here it is...

3 Sets of 20 

1. Side Plank Twist (with or without Dumbbell)

Start in a side plank position, extend your arm all the way up and bring it down slowly as you add a small twist. When your in your plank make sure your arm is directly under your shoulder otherwise your shoulder will HURT really bad after this workout. Feel free to leave out the dumbbell if you find that it's too hard to keep your balance. Keep your core and obliques engaged. 





2. Lemon Squeezer (with or without dumbbell)


Pretend like you have a lemon on your tummy and you're trying to squeeze out all of the juice. I used a dumbbell but it's optional. Sit all the way up and don't let your feet touch the ground (even though my feet are touching in the first picture, whoops). 






3. Plank Raises

Start in a Plank position with your arms extended and lower yourself one arm at a time until you're in a lower plank position.







4. Bicycle Crunches

I'm pretty sure every one has done these before. My pet peeve would be that people never bring their shoulders back down to the ground because that's cheating. Make sure you go all the way back down and then come up again. Take your time!






5. Walk the Dog

I learned this particular exercise from a bootcamp I went to with my aunt. It's very painful (yes that's a good thing) if it's done right. The closer the bent leg is to your body the harder it is. Also make sure your straight leg is held parallel to your bent leg otherwise it's too easy. Simply walk your hands up your leg... 3 separate grabs is fine.





6. Cruches 

Regular crunches with your legs at a 90 degree angle. Make sure your shoulders come up off of the ground. 





7. Russian Twists (with or without dumbbell)

Keep your feet off of the ground and bend your legs slightly while you twist side to side. 







These are just a few favorites and they're perfect for beginners. Enjoy!

And here's a little something to make your heart melt. My sister's puppy wanted a photo shoot with my dumbbell. 



No comments:

Post a Comment