Sunday, August 3, 2014

PB&J for Breakfast

Breakfast really is the most important meal of the day. I'm usually pretty hungry for breakfast because I work out in the morning and then eat my first meal afterwards. I look for something that can fill me up and also repair my muscles so that I am able to go back the next day. It's funny actually, if I don't have nutrient dense meals one day the next morning I can barely get out of bed let alone complete my workout. So I typically eat something with carbs and protein for breakfast.

I would eat cereal every single morning if I could. Unfortunately, most cereals are very high in sugar and not so full of nutrients, so I tend to stay away... Oatmeal is a very healthy alternative and it really is so so so good for you. If you're trying to get into shape, oatmeal is going to be your best friend. It's packed with fiber to keep you full until your next meal. When I have oatmeal I don't get hungry for hours. It's packed with antioxidants, lowers your cholesterol, gives you energy... I could keep going for days. This stuff is amazing and the fact that it's plain gives you the opportunity to get creative with it. You can make cookies, add it to your smoothies or just enjoy it on it's own!

So speaking of getting creative I went a little crazy in the kitchen earlier this week (just kidding, it's pretty simple but I was proud) and decided that I should share my oatmeal recipe with all of you so you can start your day off strong.

It's not much but it sure is delicious...



PB&J Oatmeal

Ingredients:

1 cup of sweetened almond milk

1/2 cup of rolled oats

1 tablespoon of organic unsweetened peanut butter

1 tablespoon of strawberry jam (2/3 strawberries)

1 packet of stevia

Directions:

1. Bring almond milk to a boil and follow instructions on the container for the oatmeal. While oatmeal is cooking, microwave about 2/3 strawberries (depending on the size) for about 10-15 seconds (this will be your jam). After you microwave the strawberries, mash them with a fork and then add your packet of stevia. After the oats have cooked add the peanut butter and your homemade jam. I like to add a little more almond milk on top and some chia seeds or hemp hearts (adds extra protein).


No comments:

Post a Comment